Hindustan Surkhiyan Desk:Karnataka Governor Vajubhai R. Vala on Friday appointed Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA K.G. Bopaiah as pro-tem speaker ahead of floor test tomorrow in the state assembly, breaking the convention of appointing the senior-most legislator.
Bopaiah had once faced the ire of Supreme Court for favouring BS Yeddyurappa.
Here are some lesser known facts about K.G. Bopaiah
- Bopaiah, 62, is a three-time legislator from Virajpet seat in Kodagu region, 260 km from Bengaluru.
- He was closely associated with the RSS and the Sangh Parivar since his childhood. Also, he was an active member of the ABVP during his college days.
- He was Speaker during the Bharatiya Janata Party rule in the state from 2008-13.
- Bopaiah is known to be a trusted ally of BS Yeddyurappa.
- In October 2011, then speaker Bopaiah had disqualified 11 rebel MLAs who were against BS Yeddyurappa’s leadership and had written a letter to Governor withdrawing their support to the BJP government. Bopaiah had thus played a major role in BJP’s survival in Karnataka but he received flak from Supreme Court over his action.